Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Titanic Remembered


Today is the 98th anniversary of the Titanic hitting an iceberg, before midnight on April 14th. In the early hours of April 15th the once mighty ship was at the bottom of the Atlantic. Where was God in that tragedy? He was with the 706 people that survived. Today was a powerful morning of your "Titanic" stories - "Icebergs" that hit you but didn't sink you thanks to God's help.

Here's one story we received via email ...


Dear Doug & Kim - You talked about a Titanic event, an event of survival. An event in my life immediately came to mind. Five years ago after having my youngest son I went through postpartum depression. At first it showed itself in an anxiety disorder,but 8 months later I found myself lying awake in my bed contemplating suicide. I thought to myself, while everyone slept, if I were to do it how would I do it. "Slit my wrists? No, that never works. Overdose on pills? Yeah, maybe". Then a voice said to me "No! This isn't normal. This isn't okay. You need to go to the doctor". I totally believe that voice was God. He was my lifeboat to safety. After that point I did go to the doctor and, even though I still have the anxiety, it is controlled. My biggest obstacle was dealing with the label of mental illness. I finally understood that our brains, which control our thought processes, are physical to this world the same as our bodies. My issues center around my hormones which can wreak havoc on your thought processes. Many women still struggle with this after having children and/or going through menopause. Don't be afraid to go to the doctor and get help and let God be your lifeboat.